President’s Corner

I am delighted to announce that beginning this week, both Provost Feldman and I will be launching new blogs. Our goal is to quickly and readily communicate with you on issues and topics that affect faculty and staff at Pace.

President's CornerDear Colleagues,

I am delighted to announce that beginning this week, both Provost Feldman and I will be launching new blogs.

Our goal is to quickly and readily communicate with you on issues and topics that affect faculty and staff at Pace.  Harriet’s blog will be open to faculty only; mine will be accessible by both faculty and staff.  Each of the blogs will be password protected and available via your Pace User ID and login.

I encourage you to log on to read our first posts and sign up for e-mail notifications of future postings once the sites are live.  Equally important, I hope you will comment on what we have to say. I have long admired the way blogging technology can encourage two-way communications in a large community.

I often say that we are an important venue in New York for discussion of the major public policy issues of our time.  This month is a wonderful example of that role.  The Economist held its symposium on Intelligent Infrastructure here this week, attracting some of the best minds in the world to address some of the cutting edge issues of the 21st century.  The Working Group on Girls, an umbrella organization of 88 national and international non-governmental organizations, is in New York to attend the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations next week. It will hold its orientation sessions at Pace on Sunday. Young women will be trained to advocate for two key issues:  empowering girls in STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), and creating policies to protect vulnerable girls and women who are migrating. Michelle Bachelet, the Executive Director of UN Women and the former president of Chile, will give the keynote address during the orientation sessions.

Next month, Pace is once again home to the Left Forum, where students and faculty will participate in hundreds of events addressing pressing social and political issues such as the spread of democracy in the Middle East and the rollback of social services in Europe. Also in March, the Mobile Safety Summit brings together industry leaders and policy makers to collaborate on ways to make technology safer.  All of these events offer unique opportunities for our students to participate in sessions with people who are truly leaders in their fields and making a difference in the world.

And of course, Pace is also an important venue for a number of exciting cultural events, including the third performance in this year’s Shakespeare Festival, The Merchant of Venice, starring the renowned actor F. Murray Abraham, at the Michael Schimmel Center for the Arts from February 27 to March 3.  Tickets can be purchased by faculty and staff for just $10 at www.pace.edu/shakespeare for the performance on Wednesday evening, March 2.  I hope you will join me and your fellow Pace friends and co-workers at this very special performance.

Sincerely yours,

Stephen J. Friedman
President