Provost’s Post

We are now in countdown mode to the start of the academic year and I want to invite you to be a part of the University’s upcoming events—beginning with Convocation on September 6.

Dear Colleagues,

I hope that you all have been able to take some time off this summer to travel, pursue a passion, or spend time with family and friends. My trip to China in early June was one of the highlights of my summer. Faculty members can check out my blog for an account of a truly fascinating experience, both professionally and personally.

We are now in countdown mode to academic year 2011-2012. I am happy to announce that fall enrollment—undergraduate and graduate, new and returning students—is strong. Thanks to so many of you across the University, our concerted effort to prevent “summer melt” has spurred many students who had been slow to deposit to take action.

Convocation is right around the corner: Tuesday, September 6, on the Pleasantville Campus. I encourage all of you to attend, especially if you have never done so. Convocation is an academic tradition with origins dating back several centuries. On this day, we officially welcome our incoming students and their families to Pace and begin the year with a strong sense of community.

This year, international bestselling author Chris Cleave, writer of our common reading book Little Bee, will speak. A former British journalist turned novelist, he writes and speaks beautifully about how individual lives are intricately woven together—sometimes purposefully, sometimes painfully—to create the world in which we live. This was great summer reading for me! Chris will no doubt be a compelling speaker and set the stage for many classroom discussions about global citizenship this year.

I also encourage you to attend the 9/11 events that will take place at Pace from September 8-13. Our memorial tribute to those we lost on that fateful day will be particularly moving. Check out the coverage of these events in this issue of Opportunitas, or visit www.pace.edu/paceremembers911 for more information.

With new academic programs, new faculty, new technology, and new master plans in place, not to mention solid financial footing, there is a great deal of forward momentum at Pace as we enter the new academic year. I wish you all a wonderful end of the summer and start of the new semester.

Sincerely yours,

Harriet R. Feldman, PhD, RN, FAAN
Interim Provost