President’s Corner

As I write this note, we are heading straight into Commencement season, with all of the anticipation and the swirl of preparations that keep us on our toes and, from time to time, up at night as well. I know this year’s Commencement festivities will be beautiful, inspiring, and heartfelt—just as they are every year.

President's CornerDear Colleagues,

Pace has enjoyed a century’s worth of commencements and yet each one feels fresh and new because of the excitement of our graduates, the evident pride of their families, and the changing times that provide a historical backdrop for each occasion. The Class of 2012 faces the prospect of a still-recovering economy, and other serious challenges at home and abroad, but I feel confident in their futures, knowing that their professors have prepared them well to succeed in their professions and in their lives. For ample evidence, we need look no further than the alumni who return to campus at this time of year. They represent the impressive stock from which today’s students spring, and they remind us of the enduring ties that bind the Pace generations together.

As faculty and staff, we become accustomed to the rhythms and rituals of the school year that culminate with Commencement. For some, the summer means welcoming a new crop of students. For others, it provides extra time to devote to research and writing. For still others, it means taking stock of the year that was and planning for the year ahead. For all of us, I suspect, it brings far less down time than we anticipate and moves much more swiftly into the fall than we imagine! I do hope everyone is planning to take some much-deserved time off to enjoy with family and friends.

Over the next few weeks, I will be recording my thoughts about various Commencement activities on my blog. I invite you will visit and share your impressions as well. Thank you for all you do to make the Commencement season so special for our graduates and their families

Sincerely,
Stephen J. Friedman